Saturday, July 2, 2011

This time it was so different

 I kissed Jon bye, said “See ya in a minute” and Margie (my surgery nurse) took my arm and we walked to the operating room. We went slow, there was no emergency this time. She opened the door and I immediately felt the cold, clean air and had to squint my eyes to get used to the brightness of the lights. I was greeted by a handful (instead of a room full) of women nurses that were bubbly and talkative; not serious and somber......not in life or death mode. The closer we got to the operating table, I realized I heard music. Tallahassee’s Generation X radio station was playing on a radio right beside us. Margie helped me up on the table and stood in front of me, helping me keep the correct posture while the anesteseologist prepped me and then inserted the spinal tap. With the twins, I had an epidural and was so out of it at the time I got it I barely remember a thing. I was fully aware of what was going on this time and was rather nervous. I just had to keep reminding myself that in the end I’d be holding my precious little angel and I would/could do any thing to get her here. Margie was a great comfort as well. She just kept telling me how well I was doing and that it would be over soon. The anesthesiologist had told me that it would only take about 30 seconds after she injected the morphine before I would become numb from the waist down....she wasn’t joking. It was the weirdest feeling I’ve ever felt. As soon as I was numb, they layed me down and put the oxygen in my nose. It took a while to get “used to” the odd feeling and to deal with the pressure I felt in my head from time to time. Even though I could move my arms and neck, they felt so weird. Last time there was not time to think, no time to process what was going on. This time I had way to much time to think about it and all the things that could go wrong!

After what seemed like an eternity from the time I had entered that operating room till now, I heard the nurses say “there he is” and then I saw the reassuring face of my obstetrician peeking over the blue curtain that was in front of my face, giving me a big smile and asking if I was ready to have my little peanut! While they were covering me in plastic and getting everything ready to start, it felt like they’d been doing it forever and that they were fixing to start with out Jon. I almost panicked but got a hold of myself and calmly reminded them to “not forget my husband.” They said “Don’t you worry, we wont” and a few seconds later I heard “here comes daddy now.” Jon sat down beside my head, kissed me, said a little prayer and then Dr. Dixon said “Let’s have us a baby” and they got started. Gosh, it felt like forever before I finally heard the cries of my 3rd born child, my precious little Olivia. Right before we heard her, we heard the doctor say “There she is! Ah, she’s trying to suck on my finger!”












More to come next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment