Friday, September 2, 2011

Being Good

As you know, this week has been a very challenging week as James’ mother. Seems the boy can’t stay out of trouble. Last night as Jon was walking out the door to go to a meeting I heard him say ”someone has drawn on the playroom floor.” I thought my eyes were gonna pop out of my head. I went back in the dining room to ask who had done it (although we knew who the culprit was but I try to be fair) and James confessed that it had indeed been his little hands that had drawn ALL OVER the floor with BLUE, NON-WASHABLE CRAYON. I do not buy crayons or markers that don't have the words washable all over the box so how he managed to find the one non washable crayon that magically appeared is just amazing. Amazing.

Anyway, I made him get up, go take a shower and he went to bed at 6:30. But as I was washing him I was reading him the riot act about drawing on the floor and how he knows better and I told him I just didn’t understand why he was doing so many things lately that he knows he shouldn’t do. I, the adult, then asked the preschooler to “please help me understand why you are making so many bad choices this week” and as he had his eyes covered so the water wouldn’t get in his eyes he answered with “But mama I just don’t know how to be good ALL the time.” Oh my!!


3 comments:

  1. Profound words from such a young one~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 32 years old and still have not figured it out! :) When I would do good, evil is present with me. If James does figure out, tell him to write a book! I will certainly buy it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children say the REALEST things...he's putting into words what I am still struggling with and I am many years older but probably eons less wise than he. Beautiful child, 'manda. He's SO right...make sure he understands NONE of us can be GOOD all the time but we try to do more good than bad.

    ReplyDelete